Wed, 07/25/2018 - 14:29
Dr. Scott Dudley is an expert in sourcing talented dentists and creating profitable patient and staff-centered cultures. He is the pioneer of a unique “lean practice” management philosophy and the creator of a distinct patient financing model.
Elite Dental Group – Founder/CEO
- Formally formed in 2016, Elite Dental Group is comprised of two unique dental brands: Virginia Dental Center and Elite Dental. Both were startup businesses that required design and build out.
- Each brand is unique in that they focus on hiring high quality and personable doctors and staff, providing an above average patient experience and clinical results.
- Has an average annual growth rate in excess of 50% since inception. 2016 group revenues = ~$5.5m. (Average revenue for a mature US dental office = ~$1.2m).
- Has personally hired and trained over 50 employees. The practice employs 33 staff and 15 providers.
- On December 30, 2016, the Group partnered with Dental Care Alliance, backed by the private equity group Harvest Partners. This partnership allows for further and more rapid expansion of both brands. Valuation was ~$5.5m.
- Created and implemented unique financing options for patients designed to enable nearly every patient to afford high caliber care without needing to apply for credit. The self-financing options give patients three unique ways to pay for treatment.
- Pioneered and applied lead dental metrics into the offices’ feedback loops. Using lead metrics, they are improving efficiencies, outcomes, systems, and provider accountability. Goal: To scale and deliver higher quality healthcare more efficiently.
- Created a unique operating blueprint that encourages company and individual growth including, vision, mission, and value statements, employee manuals, operating and policy manuals and procedures, branding videos (written and filmed), marketing campaigns (various), organization charts, doctor employment agreements, provider expectation manuals, pathways to equity (for doctors), SmileSIM, and customized metrics and analytics, among others.
- Group Vision Statement: To improve the lives of patients and teammates: The former by creating value through improving patients’ smiles, oral health, and dental experience; the latter by building meaningful relationships, striving for perfection, and creating opportunity.
Elite Dental – Founder/COO/Lead Dentist – Arlington, VA (July 2015 - Present)
- Unique startup that opened in July 2015. Marketed as a high-quality implant and cosmetic dental practice.
- 2016 revenues equal $1.5m with eight employees, including four providers. Profitability greater than 22%.
- Nearly perfect social review scores on Google and Yelp.
- Averages ~40 new patients per month.
- As COO, Scott is in charge of all day-to-day operations, marketing, staffing, operating procedures, and most policies.
- As the lead dentist, he is the top producer in revenue and positive patient reviews group-wide, for all prior years and quarters (2009 – current). He focuses on complex, comprehensive, implant-supported, and smile-makeover cases. His awards and certifications include:
- “Top Dentist” in Northern Virginia Magazine 2016.
- “Best of 2016” in Arlington, VA by the Arlington Award Program
- Fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry
Virginia Center for Cosmetic and General Dentistry, Founder/COO – Arlington, VA (March 2009 - Present)
DBA: Virginia Dental Center
- Unique startup that opened in March 2009. Marketed as a high-value general and cosmetic dental practice.
- 2016 revenues equal $4.5m with 25 employees, including 11 providers. Profitability greater than 20%.
- Average social review score equals 4.6/5 on Google and Yelp.
- Averages ~160 new patients per month.
- As COO he is in charge of all day-to-day operations, marketing, staffing, operating procedures, and most policies.
SmileSIM, Founder/CEO – Arlington, VA (January 2016 - Present)
- Online smile simulation product/service for dentists.
- Founded in 2016, SmileSIM spent 18 months in development and went live in March 2017. It currently has two sales representatives.
- The original product was packaged as a service for dentists to help increase the health of patient populations by increasing case acceptance. The product/service enables dentists to virtually simulate what patients could look like with an improved, healthier smile. Upload time is designed to take less than one minute. Simulation is completed in less than an hour. The service incorporates a financial model that enables the average patient to afford treatment.
- Currently expanding market range.
MACC ACADEMY – Founder/CEO – Arlington, VA (2017 - Present)
- Management, advisory, consulting, and coaching services for dentists and dental offices.
Associate Dentist – Washington, DC
- Village Family Dentistry, Fayetteville, NC (2005 - 2006)
- Dr. Larry J. Peterson, DDS, Washington DC (2006 - 2008)
- Dr. William Dudley, Vineland, NJ (2008 - 2009)
- Dr. George Zacko, Reston, VA (2008 - 2009)
United States Air Force, Captain, and General Dentist – Pope AFB, Fayetteville, NC
- Provided general dentistry for military personnel (2004 - 2006)
- Performed dental exams to facilitate rapid deployment overseas
- Leadership duties specific to the rank of Captain
- Certified in IV and Oral Sedation
- Veteran of Iraq War
University of Virginia, Darden School of Business (2019) - Charlottesville, VA
- MBA Degree, graduation expected May 2019
Henry Schein Dental Business Institute – Milwaukee, WI (2016)
- >110 classroom hours.
- Curriculum: Plan, Build, Lead, Lean
United States Air Force, Bolling Air Force Base and Andrews Air Force Base – Washington, DC
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) – One-year residency (August 2003 - June 2004)
United States Air Force – Maxwell Air Force Base – Montgomery, AL
- Commissioned Officer Training School (July 2003 - August 2003)
University of Pennsylvania, School of Dental Medicine – Philadelphia, PA
- DMD degree (May 2003)
- Scored 100% on the North East Regional Board Licensing Examination
- GPA = 3.61
- Worked as a restaurant server
- Played Wharton Wildmen Ice Hockey (4 years). Ice Hockey club league associated with University of Pennsylvania Wharton MBA program.
University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education – Philadelphia, PA
- M.S.Ed degree (May 2003)
Middlebury College – Middlebury, VT
- BA – Biology (May 1999)
- Psychology Minor
- Varsity Baseball (4 years)
- Varsity Football (4 years)
- Worked three jobs: lifeguard, security guard, and private swim lessons.
Academy of General Dentistry Fellow - FAGD (June 2015)
- Accomplishment of only 7% of general dentists
- >700 hours of post-graduate continuing education
Expert Professional Legal Witness Designation
- Salva v. Ellington DDS, et al. (2018)
- Gambill v. Szakaly et al.(2017)
- Naina Panth v. Dariusosh D. Ashouripour, DDS, et al. (2016)
- Thomas L. Spitler v. Gary V. Avakian, DDS, et al. (2015)
Professional Study Club Leader/Organizer – Elite Dental Group (2016, 2017)
- Case study model
- Leader, organizer, and facilitator for six other junior general dentists and eight dental specialists. Monthly meetings to review complicated cases. Annual trips to Scottsdale, AZ for workshops and seminars.
- Developed presentations on topics such as, treatment planning, patient experience, presentation of treatment, conveying value, and team leadership.
Mentor/Civilian Private Practice Advisor (2010 - Present)
- Medical College of Virginia
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Bolling Air Force Base, Andrews Air Force Base, and Washington Veterans Hospital Resident advisor for the ~20 GPR and AEGD residents each year.
Implant Seminars – San Domingo, DR (January 2014)
- Continuum and live patient course
- Mission trip to help underserved communities and learn implant placement.
- Instrument-rated private pilot – current with over 660hrs
- Amateur triathlete
- Passionate skier
- Happily married husband and proud father